Mother's Day Dinner

My Mom, me, Abby and my Grandmother

I was missing home tonight, so I decided to replicate it in my kitchen.  If I can't see my Mom on Mother's Day, then I will cook a dinner just like her and close my eyes and imagine I am sitting at her table eating a meal she cooked with love and patience, just like she has always shown to me.  I love you Mom!  Thanks for all you taught me.  Happy Mother's Day!



Chicken-Fried Steak with Pan Gravy

3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt or to taste
Freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1 large egg

3 tablespoons milk

1 1/2 - 2 pounds bottom or top round steak (cut into four individual portions), pounded well to tenderize
1/3 cup vegetable oil


In a shallow pan or plate, sift together flour, salt, pepper, and garlic powder.

In another shallow pan, combine egg and milk.

Coat steaks in flour mixture, dip in egg mixture, and then coat again with flour mix.

In a large frying pan, heat vegetable oil over medium-high heat.  Add steaks to oil and fry 3-4 minutes per side until golden brown and thoroughly cooked (add additional vegetable oil if needed). Remove from pan and keep cooked steaks warm in warm oven. 

Pour off all but 3 Tablespoons of oil from pan and put back on heat for gravy.

Pan Gravy

3 Tablespoons reserved frying oil
2 Tablespoons flour
2 cups milk
salt and pepper to taste

Heat reserved oil in pan over medium-high heat.  Add flour and whisk until smooth.  While whisking constantly, add milk making sure to scrape all bits from bottom and sides of pan until the gravy begins to boil and thicken.  Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, 5 to 8 minutes or until gravy is thickened to the desired consistency.  Add salt and pepper.


Mashed Potatoes

4 Medium potatoes, peeled and diced
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, plus more as needed
1/4 cup unsalted butter
3/4 cup whole milk
Freshly ground black pepper

In a large saucepan, combine the potatoes, 2 teaspoons salt, and enough cold water to cover. Bring to a boil over high heat. Lower the heat to maintain a simmer and cook until fork tender, about 15 to 20 minutes. Drain the potatoes.  Return the potatoes to the pan. Add the butter and mash until melted. Stir milk into the potatoes and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Serve immediately.



Easy Chocolate Cake
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, (spooned and leveled)
1 cup sugar
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 tablespoon white vinegar
1 cup cold water







 

No comments:

Post a Comment